Participate at PFA Meetings or on the PFA Board
All Sumac parents are invited to the PFA's monthly meetings, on the first Wednesday evening of each month, with recap meetings always held the following Friday morning. There may also be open positions at any time. Click to see the list of filled and open PFA Board positions, and contact Kristin Luebke to get involved on the Board.
Give us some STEAM
Help in the Library/Media Center
Click Join Group to add your name to this ParentSquare group.
Fill a Short Event or Activity Shift
Sign up to help at Pumpkinpalooza or other events throughout the year. Sign up via your classroom's Parent Square site, available once school has begun.
Some specific areas where help is needed:
Plan an Event or Activity
Show your kids what it means to be a part of our school community. Fun and family are always the core focus, while fundraising is also an important aspect to some events. But it cannot be done without your ideas and/or energy. Please see the list of committees and chairs to determine where your talent and interests fit best. You can also be a part of our event planning by going to ParentSquare>Groups and clicking "Join Group" for those you're interested in.
- Pumpkinpalooza – October 7, 2017: One of Sumac's largest annual fundraisers. Click Join Group to join the committee group, or click here to volunteer at the event. You may also contact Megan Glynn to join the event's planning committee or to submit potential vendors.
- Room Parent: Help Sumac’s classroom teachers with classroom needs, celebrations, events, etc. Please speak with your teacher or contact Mel Spence.
- Library/Media Center Volunteer: Assist Sumac’s Librarian/Media Specialist with organization, projects, and class visits. Click Join Group to join the Library's volunteer group. You may also contact media center specialist Julia Stratton.
- Life Lab – Sumac Garden: Do you have a green thumb? Help maintain Sumac’s very own school garden. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact Nanette Rooke for more info.
- Sumac Spirit Wear: Help with orders, receipts, and gear distribution throughout the year. Contact Kim Erwin.
- Website Team: Help keep the website up-to-date with the latest info, stories, calendars, graphic design, and more. Contact Kim Erwin.
- STEAM (Art-Science) classes: Assist Sumac’s STEAM specialist with organization, projects, and class visits. Click Join Group to join the STEAM volunteer group. You may also contact STEAM specialist Carol Mallett.
- Sponsorships and Grant Writing: We need people to help raise money from outside sources. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact PFA board member Megan Glynn or Sumac principal Liberty Logan.
- Yearbook Staff: Help put together photos and pages for this great annual book. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact Joel Dagang.
- After School Enrichment: Three sessions of after-school classes are offered to all grade levels throughout the year. Help select subjects, schedule vendors, promote the program, coordinate registrations, and otherwise organize. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact Sharmy Singh.
- Campout – New this year! Help plan and execute this overnight campout.
- Dia de los Muertos – Nov 2, 2017: Coordinate this fun, cultural learning experience. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Walk of Fame – Nov/Dec 2017: Students, families, and our community will have an opportunity to purchase a personalized brick for the school entryway! Help organize, communicate, and execute this legacy fundraiser. Contact Megan Glynn.
- Gift Wrap/Catalog fundraiser – Nov/Dec 2017: Help communicate, organize, and distribute goods from this fantastic fundraiser. Contact Megan Glynn.
- Barnes and Noble Book Fair – December, 2017: Assist Sumac in planning a pajama night fundraiser at Barnes and Noble in Westlake Village. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Family Weekend Events – February 9-11, 2018: Help organize the popular parent/child dance and sports events. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Jog-a-thon – April 27, 2018: Join forces for this significant student fundraiser. The Jog-a-thon raises nearly ¼ of the PFA’s annual budget to fund PE, Art/Science, assemblies, and classroom funds. Click Join Group to join the committee group. You may also contact Jenn Kurtz to volunteer, or Megan Glynn to sponsor.
- Spring Book Fair – March , 2018: Chairperson and volunteers needed to organize and run this event at school. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Great Race of Agoura – March 24, 2018: Promote and help ensure a good Sumac turnout to maximize this community donation opportunity. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Dia de los Niños – April, 2018: Dia de los Niños has been celebrated in Mexico since 1925 and became a celebration of our children in 2015. Volunteer to help us have a wonderful event. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Talent Show – April, 2018: Help the kids shine by organizing, helping with auditions, rehearsals, and the big show. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Art Cards – Spring 2018: Support STEAM teacher, Ms. Mallett, turn the kids’ artwork into keepsakes. Contact Megan Glynn.
- Silent Auction – Spring 2018: Assist in gathering community donations and facilitating this event. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Staff Appreciation Week - May 2018. Celebrate Sumac's faculty and other staff. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- International Festival – June 6, 2018: Help organize and stage this amazing student presentation of song and dance from around the world, in coordination with Sumac's music specialist and teachers. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Family Field Day – June, 2018: Support this event filled with fun for the whole family. Includes outdoor games, the Family Amazing Race, food, and more. Contact Jenn Kurtz.
- Volunteer Bank: Allow us to reach out if volunteer needs arise throughout the year.
- Restaurant Nights: Organize and promote monthly fun nights of food, friends and fundraising at local restaurants.
- Assemblies: Help program and coordinate educational assemblies at Sumac. Contact Mel Spence.
- Change Challenge: A fun week-long challenge to the kids to collect the most change. Contact Megan Glynn.
- Math/Engineering Fair – May 30, 2018: Contact Mel Spence.