PEPPERDINE STUDENT TEACHERS AT SUMAC FULL TIME
We are happy to welcome our Student Teachers into their classrooms fulltime beginning this month. Our Student teachers bring many talents and efforts to our school site and learning environments.
STUDENT 360 JANUARY FOCUS—PERSISTENCE & GRIT
SUPPORT FROM AFAR
Our school continues to receive an outpouring of support from other schools locally and nationally. A La Canada Flintridge second grade class held a book drive for our library and raised $2,000 for recess play equipment. The Montecito Union School District received stars of encouragement after last year’s devastating mudslides. The Montecito students then sent us their stars and we’ve distributed them in each classroom for display. And a Maryland school also sent cards of encouragement to our school and fire families.
TALENT SHOW AUDITIONS!
Calling all kids! Auditions for the Sumac Elementary Talent Show
“Nowhere to go but up”
Feb 6th, 12:30-5pm
Sign-ups will be in 30 min time slots, 5 kids per time slot
March 22nd, 6-8:30pm
Things to know when signing up:
A program like this is a great reward and has a lasting impact on their confidence. Kids have to be committed to creating and practicing something that is special for themselves and their school.
SUMAC ACTIVITIES & EVENTS
• Monday 1/21 No school in observance of Dr. Martin Luther King Holiday
• Monday 1/28 No School (Staff Development Day)
• Wednesday 2/6 Talent Show auditions 12:30-5 pm
• PFA Monthly Meeting 2/6 7:00 pm
STEAM SAVE THE DATES
In-class STEAM activities for 2019
Your child will participate in 3 STEAM events focused around Sand, Cars and Boat Design. There is no pressure to bring anything from home, this is optional. These activities are exploration based, not competitions! First up, Sand.
SAND: Week of Jan 29-Feb 1
Your child is invited to bring in 1 tablespoon of sand from anywhere in the world. Please put sand in a ziplock bag with a note or label of where it’s from. If possible, ask family members or neighbors who are traveling to bring back sand for you!
SUMMARY OF DECEMBER SUPERINTENDENT MEETING
• A district-wide emergency system is now setup so that parents and staff cell phone numbers are now automatically opted in.
• LVUSD is providing an additional $8,000 for counseling services for fire victims.
• The new YMCA opening later this year is offering complimentary 1 year memberships to families who lost their homes in the Woosley Fire.
• The fire clean-up at the Sumac campus was performed in accordance with Federal Emergency Management Association (FEMA) and California Health and Safety Codes.
• Cleanup included changing filters on heating and air conditioner systems and vacuums, washing walls, floors and surfaces inside and outdoors.
• VOYAGER SPONSORS •
Gotcha Covered Blinds, Draperies, Shutters & More
The best solution for your windows.
Your needs, your style, our guidance!
Schedule your free in home consultation today!
Call Kremena (818) 731-1746
We want your kids to learn and play with robots!
We offer FREE Trial Lesson for kids between the ages of 3-12 years old. We will teach your child how to build and design the infrastructures through engaging S.T.E.M. based activities and workshops using LEGO Education.
Throughout our sessions, we also teach scientific principles, a structure of an object, energy, knowledge of gears movement and fundamentals of